2016 Hong Kong
2004 New York
1999 England + Wales
Roddy is an international corporate, commercial and corporate finance lawyer. He is a Solicitor in England + Wales and in Hong Kong and he is a New York Attorney. He has a Master of Laws degree from King’s College London University and a Master of Arts degree from the University of Edinburgh.
Roddy worked as a senior lawyer at Linklaters and Clifford Chance in London and New York advising major public companies and funds on M&A, IPO and private equity transactions. He has advised on formation of offshore funds, structuring of multinational groups and inbound investment.
Roddy has served as legal counsel to a multinational fund and corporate group structuring and delivering sustainable resources projects in China, South East Asia, India and the USA. He has advised on the delivery of ground-breaking clean energy and sustainable resources projects registered under the United Nations Clean Development Mechanism.
Working on corporate and commercial transactions, my priority is to understand my clients’ goals and to work closely with them to develop legal strategies to achieve those goals. Adding value to transactions requires a detailed understanding of our clients’ organisations and their businesses. The firm’s fixed and staged fee structure means that it can communicate freely with its clients to develop this deeper understanding.
I work closely with my clients to develop a strategic approach to negotiations with counterparties. The firm applies its legal knowledge and transactional experience to develop practical, achievable solutions to challenging transactions. I take a clear and straight-forward approach to drafting documents.
I aim to achieve my clients’ corporate and commercial goals quickly, efficiently and effectively. I aim to be accessible and responsive at all times.
- Advising a US private international investment firm in relation to the formation of a China special situations fund
- Advising a US real estate investment manager in relation to the formation of its value-added fund with USD270m in committed capital
- Advising a European real estate fund manager in relation to the formation of a closed ended pan-European real estate fund
- Advising a multinational sustainable resources group on the management, administration and investment of its private equity fund
M & A
- Advising a US internet consumer-to-consumer corporation in relation to its acquisition of a European internet telephony company for USD2.6bn in cash and stock, plus performance-based consideration
- Advising a British airport operator on its acquisition by a subsidiary of a Spanish infrastructure group and a state owned airport operator for GBP850m
- Advising a global private equity firm in relation to its joint bid with two US private equity firms for shares in a major UK retail business
- Advising an independent mid-market European private equity investor on its joint acquisition with an infrastructure owning private equity fund of a UK integrated waste management businesses for GBP1.2bn
- Advising major UK retail business in relation to a bid for its shares by a subsidiary of a sovereign wealth fund
- Advising a UK utilities distributer in relation to the offer to acquire its shares by an acquisition vehicle of a leading UK-based private equity firm for GBP800m
- Advising a multinational outsourcing company for business processes in relation to its LSE IPO valued at GBP500m
- Advising a major European investment bank in relation to its acquisition of a UK-based fund of hedge funds manager
- Advising a private investment firm focused on leveraged buyouts on its joint acquisition of the life insurance business of a UK insurance company for GBP1bn
- Advising a leading UK integrator of security solutions on the acquisition of its shares by a US manufacturer of tools and hardware for GBP90m
- Advising a European fund of a US-based global asset management firm on its acquisition of a specialty chemicals company, from a Swiss chemicals group for EUR340m
- Advising a major global market research company relation to its acquisition of a leading UK-based market research agency, from a global live media and business-to-business communications provider for GBP380m
- Advising in relation to investment in multiple co-generation and greenhouse gas (GHG) abatement projects from coal mine methane in Shanxi Province, China involving the production of clean energy and registration of the projects with the UNFCCC for generation of Certified Emission Reductions.
- Advising in relation to investment in multiple power generation and GHG abatement projects involving the production of clean energy from the use of landfill gas in Sichuan Province and Anhui Province, China and in Bangkok Thailand and registration of the projects with the UNFCCC for generation of Certified Emission Reductions.
- Advising in relation to investment in a GHG abatement project at a waste-water treatment plant in Lampung, southern Sumatra, Indonesia.
- 2021 – Present Partner, Bowers
- 2020 – 2021 Consultant, Bowers
- 2013 – 2014 Chief Strategy Officer, Petrocom Energy
- 2008 – 2012 Legal Counsel, Sindicatum Sustainable Resources
- 2007 – 2008 Managing Associate, Linklaters (London)
- 2004 – 2007 Senior Associate, Clifford Chance (London)
- 2003 – 2004 Attorney, Clifford Chance (New York)
- 2001 – 2003 Associate, Clifford Chance (London)
- 1997 – 2001 Associate, Charles Russell Speechlys
Pensions and Compensation Aspects of the US-UK Double Taxation Treaty