Property / Building Management
2009 Hong Kong
English, Cantonese + Mandarin
Derek specialises in commercial and civil litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution. He acts for both corporate and individual clients in Hong Kong and overseas.
Prior to joining bowers.law, Derek worked for two leading independent law firms in Hong Kong.
Before embarking on my legal career, I was working in the financial services industry in the UK, Australia and Hong Kong. It is important for me to have a good, practical insight into my clients’ businesses to help me to deliver practical commercial legal solutions.
Experience and Key Cases
- Acting for a minority shareholder in a duty-free goods supply business in an unfair prejudice claim against the majority shareholder
- Acting for a Claimant in an HKIAC arbitration against a Hong Kong brokerage firm for breach of a customer agreement
- Acting for an oil and natural gas business owner in a series of claims against contract counterparties and former employees in fraud and breach of trust claims
- Acting for an asset manager in a claim against his former employer for unpaid bonus payments
- Acting for numerous businesses and individual in obtaining Mareva Injunction (freezing) Orders and Norwich Pharmacal Disclosure Orders in fraud- cases
- Acting for a medium-sized Hong Kong brokerage firm in recovering funds from a client and subsequent bankruptcy proceedings
- Advising a joint venture company in a shareholders’ dispute
- Acting for the minority shareholders in a family company in an unfair prejudice claim against a majority shareholder
- Acting for a Singapore-based Buddhist organization in the successful challenge of an unlawful lease and subsequent recovery of its property
- Advising a leading Hong Kong management consultancy firm in the defence of a Labour Tribunal claim by a former employee for constructive dismissal