Property / Building Management
1997 Hong Kong
1992 England + Wales
Kevin is a dual-qualified lawyer in England + Wales and Hong Kong and has practiced as a commercial disputes lawyer and partner with three leading independent Hong Kong law firms over the last twenty years.
Kevin specialises in commercial, insurance and employment litigation and dispute resolution both in Hong Kong and internationally. He handles complex multi-jurisdictional commercial cases involving debt recovery, sale of goods, trade finance, media law, fraud, shareholder, joint venture, employment, property (including land rights disputes and building management / tenancy issues) and franchise disputes, contentious family/probate/trusts, asset tracing, injunction proceedings, jurisdictional challenges, public inquiries and judicial reviews.
Kevin is a Solicitor Advocate in Hong Kong, and an Accredited Mediator with the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) and The Law Society of Hong Kong. He has appeared as an expert witness (on Hong Kong corporate law) in the BVI High Court.
Experience and Key Cases
Kevin acts for both employers and employees in a wide range of contentious and advisory employment matters, and is experienced in advising upon and handling internal disciplinary investigations and proceedings.
Kevin acts for a wide range of commercial and residential landlords and tenants, as well as asset / building managers in high value property rights disputes and has successfully defended a claim for HK$300 million arising from the competing uses of commercial properties in Hong Kong.
He is also experienced in professional indemnity, D&O liability, and other general insurance and reinsurance-related claims. Kevin served as a panel solicitor for the Hong Kong Solicitors Professional Indemnity Scheme from 1997 to 2018.
Kevin has considerable experience advising upon legal issues arising from crisis management situations, including employee fraud, market manipulation, data breaches and industrial relations.
His experience extends to defamation-related litigation and pre/post-publication advice to both printed and new media-based publications in Hong Kong and abroad and regularly advises on broadcast and telecommunications matters.
Kevin has represented major clients on important, high-value matters. He acted on behalf of Hong Kong’s main cargo handler in The Commission of Inquiry into the Opening of the Hong Kong International Airport and for appellant insurers to the Privy Council in England. Kevin was also successful in obtaining one of the most far-reaching restraining orders worldwide from the Court of First Instance in Hong Kong, and in representing a professional regulatory body before the Court of Final Appeal in Hong Kong in judicial review proceedings.
- Solicitor Advocate, Hong Kong
- Member, (1) The Law Society of Hong Kong (2) The Law Society of England and Wales
- Accredited Mediator, (1) The Law Society of Hong Kong (2) Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) (3) Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Ltd. (HKMAAL) (4) The Insurance Complaints Bureau (ICB) (5) Hong Kong Mediation Services Ltd. (HKMS)
- Member, HKIAC Mediation Council
- Associate Member, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Examiner, University of Hong Kong (1998)
- Member, Hong Kong Insurers Club
- Member, Hong Kong Insurance Law Association
- Member, The Professional Negligence Lawyers’ Association
- Contributing Editor, Hong Kong Civil Procedure: Hong Kong White Book (2004 – 2019)
- Contributing Editor, Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong: Volume 15(1) Insurance (2007)
- Exclusive Contributor (Hong Kong), International Law Office: Insurance (2006 – 2018)
- Contributing Editor, Hong Kong Insurance Law (2003 & 2009)
Throughout his career Kevin has been consistently recognised as a leading commercial dispute resolution, insurance and employment lawyer by Asia Pacific Legal 500, Chambers Asia Pacific, Global Law Experts, Asialaw Leading Lawyers and Euromoney’s Legal Who’s Who Hong Kong.